sorrow, like a sea billow, rolls
whatever my lot, God has taught me to say
it is well, it is well,
with my soul
whatever my lot, God has taught me to say
it is well, it is well,
with my soul
we don't really expect others to understand what has happened here and in all the months leading to our coming to Ust, because we don't understand it ourselves. we hope others will be gracious with us. in the end, we know we tried as hard as we could; we didn't let our fears dictate in our decision-making, and we were ready to say yes to this little family regardless of what unknowns lay ahead or what it was going to require of us; in fact, we did say yes, even though we hadn't felt the increase of peace we were asking for nor received the confirmation we'd asked God to give us.
but in a defining moment late yesterday afternoon after we had given our decision, we came to a wall, and to the end of ourselves. we realized we're not to adopt baby A, and that some other wonderful family is.
we've cried and cried some more, but we've felt the swell of peace and relief that we has eluded us for fourteen days. and last night in a moment of God's graciousness, He provided a confirmation for us in the form of something we had asked him for as positive confirmation a few days ago- which He had not given then.
i had wondered why He was so silent during these days, why He was not granting the peace we were begging for, when we felt so sure He would go with us and show us what to do. i think now that i just couldn't accept that "no" could be His answer.
baby A, with sadness in our hearts and a sense of loss for the hope and love we've carried for you in the past six months, we release you to God's capable hands. He sees you, and He has a bright future for you. you are precious, and we will never forget you.
we're not sure what is next for us...we hope there is still a family in store, and that adoption may still be part of that, maybe still here in Kazakhstan; for now, we're going home to a lot of people who love us and with the assurance that we went as far as we could and gave the Lord all of ourselves in this...
His ways are mysterious and we can't always expect to understand them.
for those of you reading this who have adopted and are waiting to adopt, I just want to say-- we still think adoption is the most wonderful thing, even though it can be the hardest thing you ever do, and we admire you hugely. we rejoice with all of your stories, and we believe in hope for those yet to be written...even our own. please do not be discouraged by this...
love to all, from Kazakhstan...
sandy & rob


You and your family are in my prayers. Your strengh and love with one another are evident. I wish you well in your journey. Susan from Austin
ReplyDeleteYou are in my prayers. I wish your heart peace.
ReplyDeleteProverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord your God with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.
ReplyDeleteI am in awe of your ability to play this verse out in real life - when it hurts so much. I believe you are blessed by God because you have not leaned on your own understanding. I believe you will be blessed because you trusted in Him with your hearts. You are a blessing to others who have been with you along this journey - you opened up your hearts in spite of how difficult it was for you. Thank you and may the peace of God continue to embrace both of you. Laura
thank you for sharing this very private and very painful journey. I am so sorry for you that this didn't work out. I am also so glad that you didn't go forward because you felt like you had to. Ultimately it doesn't work.
ReplyDeleteWith your sharing about this little guy--- there is another family who is out there for him.Nevertheless a crushing experience---between Rob being sick and Baby A =
most likely having more difficulties than you imagined.
Come home and heal. Beth
You remain in my thoughts and prayers as you have been throughout this difficult journey.
ReplyDeletePeace and be well.
Pam and Nicholas
I love you! I'm sorry you've had to experience such pain in this journey. We may never know what God has in store and why he allowed this. But, I'm so thankful that you were listening to His still small voice. He is a big God. Nothing is unknown to Him. He holds everyone in His hands, including Baby A. If adoption is ever in store for your family I trust that He will confirm it in His perfect timing. God will bless you for being so open and vulnerable. I'm praying for you for continued peace. I know how painful something like infertility can be. And the ups and downs and risks of adoption are something that only those who've been through it can imagine. May God be with you and continue to guide you every step of the way.
ReplyDeleteThank you guys so much-- your expressions of concern, love, and support of us now during this painful time means a lot - especially from people who have walked the adoption journey. thank you for your prayers...we feel a deep sorrow and we don't understand...but we know we'll be ok.
ReplyDeletelove to all.
My heart is breaking for you guys but grateful you've felt God's presence and leading through all this. We send all our love and prayers to you...
ReplyDeleteOh my. I am sorry for your pain, and grateful for the peace that has come. I join you in releasing Baby A. When things don't end up looking like we thought, it is so good to find that our feet are still standing on the Rock - a solid and firm foundation. My prayers are with you as you grieve and cling to Him.
ReplyDeleteWow. What a difficult decision to make. I'm so glad that God gave you the peace you were looking for in your decision. I can't imagine the emotions you must be experiencing. May God continue to guide you on your journey.
ReplyDelete