We met the two other adopting families at breakfast, one from New Jersey (3 boys at home, adopting a toddler girl, and fourth child on the way – wow!) and a couple from Virginia, bonding with a 10-month-old. It was good getting to know the Virginia couple over breakfast.
Breakfast is a buffet – there is quite a bit to choose from, though it’s all somewhat different than what we’re used to. We all had fun trying to identify some of the foods, and of course we gained lots of clues about what to eat and what not to eat from the veteran families who had been here a week already. J
It was nice to have a leisurely morning. We got a little tour of the Spa by a lovely young girl named Julia (pronounced Julia); will definitely check that out and take advantage of the inexpensive message and sauna at some point. There’s one stair-stepper type thing, so I’ll have to try that too.
After that we spent some time talking and praying, and then the next few hours scanning our charts and info on child development, refreshing ourselves on what to do look for, and Rob going over what to photograph and videotape so we can send that info back to the clinic. I did some blogging –but didn’t even have time to finish. We started getting ready at 2:30 to head to the baby home – packing up some outfits, diapers, toys. I was pleasantly surprised that by that time, my apprehensions of the night were gone and I felt excited to go see Anton again, and Rob agreed. Thanks God, for your presence and peace.
(It was also nice to have a reason to get out of our 80degrees+ room! tomorrow we’ll have to pull the curtains so it’s not so warm.)
Baby house
Today we got to meet with the director/doctor, Doctor Natalya, a no-nonsense woman with red-dyed hair that matches her lipstick; she seems nice. Alma translated and Dr. Natalya gave us a summary of all the medical and other info they have on this little boy. They had a whole file there and my understanding is we’d get a lot of that if we adopt Anton.
We were surprised at how much info they gave us, and some of it quite telling; I’m not going to go into it here, but I’ll just summarize to say that I think God has saved him from a rather rough beginning; probably a huge blessing that his mother let him go.
We were able to ask a lot of questions and felt we got satisfactory answers, but then you are never quite sure what you are getting. We know his full name, his mother’s full name, a little background about her (though nothing about substance abuse or anything like that) and even some vague info about where he was born. If we go through with adopting him I’m sure we’ll ask a lot more questions about that.
They seem to feel his small size and underdevelopment is all about the cleft palate thing, and we’re just not really sure about that; we’ve seen other cleft palate kids who were not small like this, and they do tell us he's eating well, so it just doesn't totally make sense to us.
The visit was more encouraging today though. He started out fussy and didn’t like having his diaper put on (they don’t usually wear them in the home but we bring them and they put them on for while we’re there) and he didn’t like me changing his clothes. But it was kind of good to see his other less-passive side too – to see that he can express himself. After we got that all settled we got him interested in a container with little toys in it that we had brought. He really likes putting stuff in and out of stuff. He also liked the magnetic little writing tool, and he seemed to know what to do with that right away.
We were watching a lot of motor skills stuff today, and we were encouraged with what he does with his hands, grasp, all that. Seems to be on target maybe with a fifteen month old with his hand skills, but he rarely vocalizes, and he doesn’t really walk alone; he doesn’t seem too interested in moving around either – maybe it is his good attention span with toys, or maybe it’s that his little skinny legs are weak; is it something else? I think we need to watch him out with the other babies more, think he’d be more active there.
I also think it is probably true that all these 1-2 years olds are behind in talking – at least, actual words; I suppose when you think about it, it makes sense; they’re primarily around ten other little 1 or 2-year olds and not that many adults conversing or talking with them a lot.
We did some videotaping today and measuring and will send that to the int’l adoption clinic. He is by far the smallest of those in his age group. We do have concerns beyond just the small size though, so we’ll see what they have to say. But all in all we were more encouraged today than after our initial meeting yesterday (Monday). I suppose he was a little more comfortable with us around too.
Duckhead supper
All four of us families went out for supper together tonight at a Chinese restaurant, we had a really good time. I feel very grateful to be experiencing this with others who share some of the same questions and concerns -but I don’t think any of them has quite the same situation/decision we’re facing. Nevertheless, it was just nice to be together sharing stories from both our day and our lives.
The restaurant experience was of course a hoot, because we’re never really sure what we’re ordering, and then when you order it ends up being/tasting nothing like what you’d think. there was one English menu so we all just three out ideas like sesame chicken and Mongolian beef, and Tony did his best to pick items from the menu. It was quite funny when about ½ hour after we thought we were done, they brought another beef dish. “oh yeah, I guess we did order that.” We finished that, and about another 15 minutes later, out came a whole bowl of broth with chicken in it….hmmm, did we order this? Yeah, I guess we did.
But the night was really topped off when, just before we were about ready to leave (about 2 hrs after we’d gotten there) the waitress brings out this HUGE tray of duck! Yes, duck legs, duck meat piled high in the middle, and none other than the duck HEAD—roasted complete with beak and eyeholes! Wahhhhh???? We’re all giggling and looking at each other while she’s putting the trays down like,did we order this? It came with little tortillas, green onions and a sauce – maybe it was Peking Duck, I don’t know, I’ve never had that. But anyway, it remains a complete mystery to us how we ended up with it.
So those of us who had any shred of appetite left, which was pretty much only me and the pregnant gal, each had a couple little tortillas. We did have a hoot taking pictures with the duckhead. I’ll try to get them from Jennifer and include one here at some point, if I can ever manage to get on the blogger account. (still can’t go to any – I had to send this text through friend Kim.)
Anyway, when Rob and I got back we spent a lot of time at the room rendering video and photos, typing up our doctor notes to send to the int’l clinic, and then poor Rob had to get up during the night for a couple hours to convert and upload the video so it would be there for them in the morning. Crazy. The things we do. But in the end, I do feel like we need the consult of the clinic, so I’m glad we’re doing it.
Guess that’s all I have for Day 2. We’re doing ok, taking things a day at a time. We haven’t really had a chance to experience or even think much about Ust culture yet, and I confess that other than a few new words I’ve learned from the translator during our baby visits, learning more Russian is kinda low on my priority list. I’ve been happy I know what I know, but I’m also aware how little it really is. Still, it’s come in handy here and there.
I’ve also had no time nor mental attention to give to working like I’d planned; we’ll see if that can change here in the next few days. I think, though, till we feel more sure about what we’re doing, that may just have to be shelved.
Thanks for your prayers, friends; we really believe God has led us here on the journey—though at the moment the journey isn’t looking and feeling quite like we were expecting. I suppose we question some whether we heard right; but we did come believing God would show us what we are to do—so, we’re still counting on that.
Good night, from our side of the world. J
Just love reading your blog. You do a great job of sharing the experience with us. Helps me know how to pray more specifically. Much love to all three of you! -Susie :)
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to let you know that I am thinking of and praying for you all.
ReplyDeleteBest, Pam and Nicholas
thanks, susie and pam, for your thoughts and prayers. please pray for rob's health --he's been pretty miserable these past two days with a cold that is now down in his chest; we just hope he can continue going to the bonding...wearing that mask and using lots of hand sanitizer! if he can't it would set back the schedule. that and he just feels miserable. :-(
ReplyDelete