Wednesday, February 3, 2010

bella, butterhorns, bright sun, and BEAUtiful nieces!

I had a GREAT time in Hesston! Would you believe I ended up having to check my bag and pay $25 anyway, and then it didn't arrive and took a full 24 hrs for them to deliver to me???!!! Arrrgh. It gave me a sweet excuse to wear Julie's clothes though. ;-p

The girls loved their I Love My Puppy tees (so cute!), and I completely fell in love with Bella, their goldendoodle puppy (who isn't much of a puppy anymore--at least in SIZE; she's ALL puppy in behavior!)
 
 

James loves his four girls.

 
jules and i always like to do some baking when we're together, so we made her yummy butterhorn recipe;  they didn't rise very well though! ;-l We had lots of good food...bierock (burrock?) at Lincoln Perk, absolutely scrumptuous pasta at Carrabes (sp?), homemade pizza and rolls...I didn't lose weight anyway. ;-p

jamie the lion-hearted.

 
On Saturday we went to Hutchinson and ate at Hog Wild's - some of the absolute best pulled pork I've had in a LONG time. We then went 650 feet under - to the Underground Salt Museum in Hutchinson! It was SO interesting to me! We each had to wear hard hats and these little oxygen cans, though they've never had a single incident in over 50 years of taking people down. Nothing like a coal mine, it seems. Here we are sitting on a huge block of pure salt!
 
The girls are really growing up! Jamie is five now, and Halle will soon be eight. Jamie was SO interested in the Russian words I'm learning; I taught her to count to three, say yes and no, and a few other things. :-) She was also very interested in learning English words she didn't know; all weekend she kept asking "what does THAT mean??" :-) 

We watched both of the girls' adoption videos while I was there. The girls were just riveted! Julie said it's been a few years since they've watched them, so it's the first time the girls really understood what it was all about. That was really special and totally got me thinking about our upcoming trip (as if it's ever far from my mind anyway!) It was therapeutic to spend time with Julie and James b/c they know just what Rob and I are feeling - an experience not many people can share with us. So good.

The snow was absolutely beautiful. They live right off a golf course, and we got to be the first ones to make tracks, which was quite fun. Bella was IN her element (Jules and I were pretty happy too, actually. :-) 
  
 Hopefully I can post some more photos of the snow later, b/c I took a LOT of them. Too bad Rob wasn't there; with his good eye, he'd have put my humble efforts behind the lens to shame. But with a wonderful camera, you usually do OK anyway. 

So glad I got to go to Kansas. But, you know, coming home to my sweetie was pretty sweet too. :-)






2 comments:

  1. So glad you had a good trip, Sandy. Sounds like you got a lot done in the short time you were there. I was happy for you to be with your sister on the anniversary of your parents' passings. (is that proper english? I think you know what I mean) Anyways, I said an extra prayer for you :)
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Melanie- that is so thoughtful of you! yeah, it was nice to be with her for that...it's always good too b/c we each remember unique things about our parents, and being together helps us pool those memories. last week i realized that one of my new Russian words was a word my dad used to say, and Julie said "yeah, don't you remember Daddy said lots of Russian words? we'd say 'Daddy where does that phrase come from?' and he'd say, 'I don't know--it's a Russian phrase!'" too cool! :-)

    ReplyDelete