Friday, November 6, 2009

Abba's child

Today I read this in my Abba's Child book:
"My dignity as Abba's child is my most coherent sense of self."

Amidst all the preparation for adoption--reading the articles and books that are supposed to prepare us for the ins and outs of this journey, getting familiarized with the country of Kazahstan, and all the prepwork we've been doing in the house to prepare for a addition of a little one--I did not expect that some of the most profound preparation of the heart would come with the simple words "My Father in heaven really loves me."

But it has.

I've asked many people to pray for us as we get ready for this change, somehow thinking that will help us trust, get stuff done faster, move our dossier along more quickly, brace ourselves for the highs and lows of the potentially unknown journey ahead...maybe it does--surely it has helped. But I am finding my prayer most answered as God has been drawing me back to Himself in the last few weeks, and impressing upon me AGAIN and AGAIN in strikingly unusual ways that He loves me..He delights in me...He hears rob and me, and most significant of all -  He likes us. I just was not expecting this.


















This morning, tears fell as I read that "...you have received a spirit of adoption. When we cry 'Abba', it is that spirit bearing witness with our spirit that we are children of God." Romans 8:14-16.

Thank you Lord... Abba...What better way to prepare me to be a loving mom to this child than to fill me with love as a daughter. A daughter of God, adopted as Your very own.

I know I don't, and won't, appropriate or understand this kind of love everyday. But I know it's there as sure as the sun. It's the solid ground beneath every endeavor I take...this adoption of a little stranger not being the least. I hope I can always remember that.

May you be blessed today. I pray our Abba will spare nothing to enfold you in Fatherlove in a way that you simply cannot deny.


(Abba's Child is written by Brennan Manning. I highly recommend it. It's profoundly simple and deep, all at the same time.)












1 comment:

  1. Hey Sandy!
    I have been studying who God says I am. 1John 3:1 says we are called children of God. Eph 1:5 says we have been adopted to sonship. Gal 3:29 says we are heirs to the promise if we belong to Christ. Many more verses say the same thing. We have been adopted by Father God. I heard someone say once that there has never been an unwanted adoption. This moves me to gratitude and praise. He is so amazing.

    Glad to follow your blog. Tried to post my pic but had some difficulty.

    Love to you & Rob! --Melanie Miller

    ReplyDelete