Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas with Puff Daddy



Well, this is about it for us as far as Christmas decorations: three stockings for Rob, me, and K-baby; some lights on the fence; and two pencil trees. :-) I guess we're just taking it a little easy this year.
 

Last night, however, we enjoyed a perfectly Christmasy adventure. Every Christmas I like to attend at least one classical music event or I don't really feel I've celebrated Christmas, so my dear hubby, knowing how important this is to me, did some Internet searching and found us a great option. After snoozing the afternoon away to the sound of football (my favorite way to take a nap) we roused ourselves, donned spiffy attire, and made the 50-minute drive amidst the snow and Christmas lights to South Bend for Christmas at Loretto, where the South Bend Chamber Singers gave an absolutely stellar Christmas performance in the gorgeous Church of Our Lady of Loretto's basilica.


Most of the works they did were new sacred Christmas works by contemporary composers, but they also did some selections from Messiah, with a fabulous brass quintet accompanying. (Rob was very impressed with the trumpeter, being a trumpet player himself, and I thought the soloists--particularly some of sopranos--were absolutely outstanding!) The whole evening was so much fun. Well, driving around for nearly an hour afterward looking for an open place to eat was perhaps less than exceptional--we landed at a dirty McDonalds at about 10:45p.m.-- but it still fit the adventure category. Filling and fattening. :-p

Being in that setting stirred up all my repressed "I-miss-classical-music-in-my-life" remorse and made me wonder once again, is there a way that I can bring this back into my life? It used to be me singing that wonderful music, but it's been so many years ago now...what could I have done had I kept it up? Sigh. It is something to ponder, I guess...("she pondered these things in her heart...")














On a lighter note...
For a couple years I've referred to this coat of Rob's as "Puff Daddy", for obvious reasons. Well, how funny when unbeknown to me, a couple of our friends recently started calling Rob "Puff Daddy" when he wore this coat, presumably b/c of it's puffy nature and the fact that he's almost a daddy! ;-)
Don't you just wanna squish him?

(OK, I admit it: this photo is from another year. We didn't have quite that much snow this week. :-] )

Enjoy this week of Christmas celebration--what a gift we have in Jesus!!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment